Learn how to make an easy lava lamp with this fun science experiment for kids. Use simple household items such as vegetable oil, food coloring, Alka-Seltzer ,a bottle to create chemical reactions and funky balls of colour that move around like a real lava lamp.
- Pour water into a bottle or a glass until it is around one quarter full (you might want to use a funnel when filling the bottle so you don’t spill anything.)
- Pour in vegetable oil until the bottle is nearly full.
- Wait until the oil and water are separated.
- Add around a dozen drops of food coloring into the bottle (choose any color you like.)
- Watch as the food coloring falls through the oil and mixes with the water.
- Cut an Alka-Seltzer tablet into smaller pieces (around 5 or 6) and drop one of them into the bottle, things should start getting a little crazy, just like a real lava lamp!
- When the bubbling stops, add another piece of Alka-Seltzer and enjoy the show!